Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Tribute to John

A few hours ago I learned that a old friend named John had passed away fourth months ago. He was 75. Sadly, I had no idea John was ill. In fact, the last time we saw each other was 15 months ago. Our wives joined us for a delightful dinner in Santa Monica.

Although we hadn’t seen each other in years, we picked-up the dinner conversation right where we had left off seven years earlier — just as old friends do. We talked about the good old days, music, the business of songwriting (for which we shared a mutual passion) and life in general. There was never any mention of John’s battle with cancer. I had no idea he was struggling.

So, it was a shock to discover he had passed away. What is even more ironic is that just this morning, I found a scrap of paper with John’s address and email on it. I entered his information in my iPhone contact list. Then, two hours later, I received an email from a business contact announcing a memorial tribute to our late friend. How bizarre.

The Course of 10,000 Days reminds us that life is short. The average human being lives 30,000 days which equals 82 years. In John’s case, he only lived 75 years. My point is simply this. Cherish each day you live. Remain close to the people you love and remind them that you love them. Celebrate life and resolve to do good things with the brief time that remains.

My friend, John, certainly touched many of us is many positive ways. He was a good person who gave so much and expected so little in return. He created a wonderful legacy in 75 short years and will be well-remembered by those of us who read his books, heard his music and valued his friendship.

No comments: